Monday, November 26, 2012

Alliday Artist: Meet The Patchouli Parlour!

Tell us a little about yourself and your business. 
Angie: I can’t draw, paint, or sculpt, but I have a creative family and art has always been a part of my life. Ballet was my outlet growing up, and I was so happy when I decided to try beadwork. I could finally play around with colors and express myself without having to pick up a brush or pencil. The time I’ve spent making and selling jewelry has been a total blast, and I can’t wait to see where life takes me on this path!

Mary: I’ve always loved art and the creative process. While raising 2 daughters, I was kept busy making dance costumes. Now my oldest daughter and I share a love of beads, so we decided to start a business. I love that this is something we do together, and I’m very proud of our work. We both have pieces in the Out on Main art gallery in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. That is like a dream come true for me!

What do you create and what do YOU love about your products?
We use beadweaving and bead embroidery to make jewelry. We love everything about the process of working with beads: the feel of them, the process of picking out different sizes, shapes, and colors that go well together. We love the artistic expression that beadwork allows, and the fact that we are making art with a function- something that people wear out in the world and have experiences in.

What sets your creations apart from others?
Our pieces are very time-consuming! People often comment that they don’t know how we can stand to do what we do. Working with seed beads takes a great deal of patience, but it’s so rewarding to start with such tiny components and create beautiful pieces from the ground up. Also, most of what we do is one of a kind. Each cabochon is slightly different from the others, and the beadwork we’ve been doing on the embroidered pieces is freeform, without any kind of pattern. I don’t think we could replicate any of it exactly!

Where do you find inspiration?
Angie: So many places! Belly dancers, old Victorian photos I see on Pinterest, songs that I listen to while I work. I love archaeology, so it’s great any time I see jewelry from long ago- Anglo-Saxon, Egyptian, stuff like that. I’m always on the lookout for things with great shapes and color combinations.

Mary: I would have to say my inspiration comes from nature; I’ve always loved stones and crystals. My favorite colors are greens, blues, purples, browns, & gold. I love all colors though, especially in shades found in nature.

The Alliday Show believes that everyday should be celebrated as a holiday! That being said, which holiday do you wish were everyday and why?
Angie: That sounds crazy; I don’t know if I could handle it! Maybe Earth Day or something to prompt people to appreciate nature every day. We live on a breathtaking planet!

Mary: I do believe we should be thankful for each day and live each day to the fullest, but I wouldn’t want every day to be a holiday. For me, that would take away some of what makes each holiday special.

If you could create your own holiday, what would it be and why?
National Jewelry Day. You could wear all your favorite pieces at once and nobody would think you’re weird! Chocolate should be involved somehow, also.

What is your favorite holiday tradition?
We’re pretty laid back during the holidays, so any time we can spend just relaxing at home and cooking up a bunch of food is great in our book.

How would you describe your work in three words?
Intricate, Expressive, Colorful

Shop
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment