Monday, November 19, 2012

Alliday Artist: Meet More Projects Than Time!


Tell us a little about yourself and your business.
My name is Lauren Belteau Gerfen I am the creator/designer/crafter/etc. of More Projects Than Time. During the day I am the acting librarian at a small western arts library at the University of Oklahoma and at night, on the weekends, and early mornings when I can’t sleep I fill my time crafting, decorating my house, and baking. Although, More Projects Than Time is a newer business I have been a life-time crafter, artist, and maker.

What do you create and what do YOU love about your products?
I create predominately sewn items for the home; pillows, pendant flags, and hanging birds. I have recently added some jewelry, magnets and stuffed animals to the mix. The thing I love about my products? Well. . .there are two main things:

1. I predominately use vintage or reclaimed fabric, trim and buttons. I love vintage fabric and always have. I love looking at it, pairing it with other fabric, creating something new from something old.

2. I had a little girl refer to my products as “festive” and I would agree with that. I, personally, like having some brightness and whimsy in my day and think that my products do just that. They can take a corner, or a chair, or a patio and brighten it up just a little.
What sets your creations apart from others?
Predominately, the materials; not only the fact that they are modern products made out of vintage fabric but also my fabric and color pairings. I try to mix what might seem to be contrasting colors or prints with neutrals and creating something cohesive and lovely.

Where do you find inspiration?
Multiple places. . .

Foremost, the fabrics I use but also art, movies, old photos, books, blogs, etc. I like to say my biggest aesthetic inspirations growing up were Dolly Parton, Punky Brewster, Erte, and Tori Amos. . .I’m not sure what that says about me.
The Alliday Show believes that everyday should be celebrated as a holiday! That being said, which holiday do you wish were everyday and why?
I will have to admit (even if this is the popular answer) Christmas. Christmas is the time to be really over the top! The house feels magical with the tree and lights, it’s nice to have one month out of the year to completely transform the way my home looks. I love looking at all of my eclectic ornaments and coming up with fun ways to restyle my home, AND most importantly I LOVE Christmas baking. . . cookies, bread, candy. . .I love it all.

If you could create your own holiday, what would it be and why?
Some sort of holiday revolving around breakfast or brunch. I always want to have big, drawn out breakfasts with company and never do. There are plenty of holidays with lavish dinners and afternoon cookouts, I say we need a breakfast holiday.
What is your favorite holiday tradition?
My husband and I have a pre-Christmas a few nights before the actual day. He cooks dinner (it’s just the two of us and our cats), we eat on our wedding china and have wine and eggnog, open our presents to each other, listen to David Sedaris’s Santa Land Diaries, and talk about all the good things that happened that year. I am looking forward to this night already.

How would you describe your work in three words?
Fun, Festive, Colorful.

Shop
Blog
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment