Monday, December 5, 2011

Alliday Artist: Meet Heart Strings by Lauren!

Tell us a little about yourself and your business:
I am a stay at home mom and road manager for a singing group. I spend a lot of time at home with my little on which is perfect for me to be able to create. I make art out of guitar strings that were once played. I specialize in baskets. I learned to weave baskets in high school using traditional materials such as reed but quickly found out that I could use materials a little less traditional. I started collecting guitar strings from friends that played guitar and also from my own stash. Soon I was able to make arrangements with local music stores that changed guitar strings for their customers and instead of throwing them away they would keep them aside for me. I clean each string thoroughly before putting them into a creation.
What do you create and what do you love about your products? 
I have made over 100 products with guitar strings. My designs include baskets of different shapes and sizes, some with lids, vases, bowls, pendants, Celtic knots, rings and earrings. What I love most about my products is that they are from recycled materials that otherwise would have ended up in a landfill. Each piece can now be shown in a beautiful new light because of what my hands have done with it. 
Where do you find inspiration?
A lot of my inspirations comes from nature. Most of the shapes and names that pieces are given you can find in nature; acorn, flower, sun, bird nest etc. Other inspiration comes from my family. They are always filling my head with ideas to try next and are always keeping me on my toes. 

Which holiday do you wish was everyday and why?
I wish Thanksgiving was everyday because it is my favorite holiday. I love that the family gets together and gets to eat some amazing food and just enjoy each others company. I believe that in everything we should give thanks and if everyday were Thanksgiving it would be much easier to remember to do so. 
If you could create you own holiday what would it be and why?
If I could create my own holiday it would be one where the family would get together and create things. Create new songs, art, poetry whatever medium was that persons that something would be created by each person on that day because I think it is important to create. It unlocks places in your brain that can not be opened without creating something. I think it would be a healthy holiday for everyone. 

What is your favorite holiday tradition?
My favorite holiday tradition is one that has been done most Christmas Eves for the last few years in my family. The family gets together and plays a game or just hangs out in the living room with no TV or media except old Christmas records. And as the night goes on we usually end up singing and dancing with the records. I love it. 
How would you describe your work in three words?
If I had to describe my work in three words they would be: Unique Guitarstring Art

Shop
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment