Saturday, November 12, 2011

Alliday Artist: Meet Sharing Seeds of Hope!

Tell us a little about yourself and your business.
I have only lived in Tulsa for 2 years, but it felt like “home” from the very beginning. This small town girl from Missouri is having a blast with city life here in Oklahoma. I have a hard time throwing things away because I always think to myself, “I could probably use this for something later.” I knew I was in trouble when I was cutting apart an empty tissue box becaue I could just see the design working well on a Christmas card some day. I've also been known to cut apart friends' wedding invitations (after the fact!) to re-use the pretty designs.

What do you create and what do YOU love about your products?
I make greeting cards, hand-bound books, and have been learning to make use of my hand-me-down Singer sewing machine. Making cards & paper creations is therapeutic for me & has provided me with an outlet to be creative, and use up bits & pieces of scrap papers I have been hoarding saving for a special purpose.

Where do you find inspiration?
Most of my cards are made with cardstock & craft paper. I try using reclaimed paper when I can, and I often use random scraps of paper I’ve cut for accents & embellishments on cards. So browse my shop & enjoy!

This year I discovered the thrill of digging through dusty thrift store shelves for vintage postcards. Some of them were mailed over 100 years ago!

The Alliday Show believes that everyday should be celebrated as a holiday! That being said, which holiday do you wish were everyday and why?
I love the magic & hopeful anticipation that comes with the Christmas season. Wouldn't it be grand if we could celebrate that peace & joy with share at Christmastime with each other every day?

If you could create your own holiday, what would it be and why?
I am a firm believer that everyone should be highly celebrated on their birthday. You should have that day off from work & most other responsibilities to do whatever your little heart desires. I just think it's so great that we each get one day out of all the others that is especially about us. (Though it is probably for the best that we only get one day like that!)


What is your favorite holiday tradition?
There are two. First is that we always go to a Christmas Tree Farm in Tahlequah, OK to cut down our tree with some friends of ours that we don't get to see often enough. And we celebrate after with pizza at Sam & Ella's.

The second one is that my husband proposed on St. Patrick's Day with a fondue dinner. We like to celebrate St. Patty's Day with a homemade fondue picnic each year. It is a fun way to remember that special moment!

How would you describe your work in three words?
simple repurposed treasures

No comments:

Post a Comment